What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Insights into competition preparation, posing tips, and advice from experienced competitors.
Christopher White
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 1:46 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 5 times

What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Christopher White »

Contest prep has a way of exposing every little mistake in your routine. Last year, I learned that pushing harder isn’t always the answer—sometimes poor sleep, rushing the diet, ignoring recovery, or making random changes can set you back more than you realize. This year, I’m trying to approach prep with a lot more patience and consistency instead of panicking every time progress slows down.
For those of you competing this year, what’s one contest-prep mistake you made before that you absolutely refuse to repeat this time around? Was it starting your diet too late, doing too much cardio, cutting calories too aggressively, neglecting posing, or something else?
AndBaker44
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 2:05 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by AndBaker44 »

Starting prep too late. Never again. 😅
Matthew Allen
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 1:53 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Matthew Allen »

I’m not making the mistake of slashing calories every time the scale stalls. Sometimes you just need to stay consistent and let the process work.0-p[
Belle%24
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2025 10:53 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Belle%24 »

Definitely doing way too much cardio. My recovery got wrecked and my lifting suffered. 💀
Lilly
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2025 11:26 am

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Lilly »

Last prep, I treated every small change in my physique like an emergency and kept adjusting things constantly. This year I’m sticking to the plan longer, tracking the actual trends, and making changes based on weeks of data instead of one bad weigh-in.
Christopher White
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 1:46 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Christopher White »

This is a big one for me too. I used to panic when progress slowed for a few days, but prep gets way easier mentally when you stop reacting to every little fluctuation. 📉💪
SteffanieSan33
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2026 11:50 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by SteffanieSan33 »

Not practicing posing enough. I’m fixing that early this time.
Fabigon
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2026 11:52 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Fabigon »

My biggest mistake was thinking I could sacrifice sleep because prep was “temporary.” Being exhausted all the time made training, hunger, mood, and recovery way harder than they needed to be.
Peach255
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2025 11:24 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Peach255 »

I’m done with the all-or-nothing mindset. One off-plan meal doesn’t mean the whole day is ruined. Back to the plan at the next meal and keep moving.
Charles Harris
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 1:42 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: What Contest-Prep Mistake Are You Determined Not to Repeat This Year?

Post by Charles Harris »

For me it was ignoring recovery because I wanted every workout to feel brutal. Eventually the joints started complaining and my strength dropped, so this year I’m paying more attention to fatigue and actually respecting rest days.
Post Reply