Can You Build Muscle Without Eating in a Huge Calorie Surplus? 💪
Re: Can You Build Muscle Without Eating in a Huge Calorie Surplus? 💪
I also think training experience changes things quite a bit. A newer lifter can often make noticeable progress without aggressively pushing calories, especially when their training is finally consistent. As you get more experienced, gains naturally slow down, so being intentional with nutrition, recovery, and progressive overload becomes more important.
Re: Can You Build Muscle Without Eating in a Huge Calorie Surplus? 💪
Yeah, I’m starting to look at the whole thing differently. I’d rather have a slower bulk where my strength keeps climbing and my physique improves without feeling like I’m constantly overeating. That seems much easier to sustain long term. 
-
Christopher White
- Posts: 50
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 1:46 pm
- Has thanked: 5 times
- Been thanked: 5 times
Re: Can You Build Muscle Without Eating in a Huge Calorie Surplus? 💪
I’ve done both approaches, and the difference in how I felt was huge. A big surplus had me constantly full, heavier around the waist, and honestly less comfortable during training. With a smaller surplus, I can actually enjoy my meals, train hard, recover well, and still see the scale and my lifts gradually move in the right direction.
Re: Can You Build Muscle Without Eating in a Huge Calorie Surplus? 💪
Slow, controlled progress makes a lot more sense to me. I’d rather make quality gains over several months than rush the scale and spend another few months cutting afterward. 
