Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Tips on strength training, hypertrophy-focused workouts, cardio, flexibility, and recovery.

Sponsor Banner
Lilly
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2025 11:26 am

Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Lilly »

A lot of lifters start with one goal and eventually realize they want more than just one outcome. Maybe you want a bigger squat, more muscle, better conditioning, and enough athleticism to actually move well outside the gym. 💪
Strength training can build a serious base, hypertrophy work adds size, and athletic work keeps things like explosiveness, conditioning, mobility, and movement quality in the mix. You don’t necessarily need to specialize completely unless you’re competing.
For me, hybrid training makes a lot of sense for everyday lifters. Keep your main lifts heavy, use accessories to build muscle, and add some conditioning or explosive work without turning every session into a marathon. The goal is to build a body that’s strong, muscular, and capable. 🔥
What are you chasing right now—strength, size, athletic performance, or a mix?
Dnk567
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 1:49 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Dnk567 »

I’m going with a mix right now. I want my squat and deadlift moving up while still adding noticeable size, and I’ve started keeping some conditioning in the week so I don’t feel completely gassed outside the gym. 💪
Paulk23
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 2:03 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Paulk23 »

Strength, 100%.
DakBen787
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 9:17 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by DakBen787 »

I’m mainly chasing hypertrophy, but I still like having some heavy compounds in the program because getting stronger makes the whole process more satisfying.
Zach-ST2
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 11:23 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Zach-ST2 »

I’m all about the hybrid approach lately. I’ll start with a heavy compound, work through some moderate-rep accessory movements, then finish with carries, sled work, or short conditioning depending on how I’m feeling. It gives me the best mix of strength and muscle without making every workout ridiculously long. 🔥
Lilly
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2025 11:26 am

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Lilly »

That’s pretty much where I’m leaning too. I still want to chase PRs, but I don’t want my entire fitness level to depend on how much weight I can move for one rep.
Barbell4G
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2025 12:56 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Barbell4G »

I’m training for size right now. Give me good volume, clean reps, and a nasty pump. 😂
Peach255
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2025 11:24 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Peach255 »

Athletic performance has become a bigger priority for me. I’ve added jumps, sprints, and carries around my lifting, and honestly I feel way more explosive than when I was only doing bodybuilding-style sessions.
Cpedro#21
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2026 11:52 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by Cpedro#21 »

I want the strong and jacked combo. Heavy barbell work gives me the strength side, then I use machines, cables, and dumbbells to bring up the muscle. I’ll throw in a little cardio too so I’m not dying after five minutes of activity. 😅
GymAddict27
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2025 11:23 am

Re: Are You Training for Strength, Muscle, Athletic Performance—or a Mix?

Post by GymAddict27 »

Mostly strength.
Post Reply